Old January 7th 04, 02:06 PM
Wyatt Emmerich

I travel about 8-10 thousand into the wind and 14-20 with the wind. I agree.
Usually the headwind increases faster than TAS with altitude. I travel 8-10
for safety--glide distance.

"Jeff" wrote in message
when I plan a flight against the wind (like a few days ago comming back

from
phoenix) I go with the altitude that gives me the best ground speed.
On my way back from phoenix at 8500 ft I had a GS of 130 kts, I had to go

10500 for terrain and my GS went down to 117 kts., so I jumped back down

8500 when I had the chance.

Turbo airplanes take advantage of the thinner air up high is why they can

go
faster then normally aspirated planes. you maintain your full 200 HP up to

DA of 12,000 ft. So 12000 ft is where you start to lose horse power but

the
air is thinner allowing you a better TAS and if you play the winds right,
some really good ground speeds. stay low if you have a head wind, get up
high when you have a tail wind.

Sometimes, the wind down low will be higher then say around 10,000 or

12000
ft or about the same. If there is not much difference in the winds, I

would
select the higher altitude because of the thinnner air. Also you dont use

as
much fuel up high.

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote:

When planning a flight against the wind, how to you pick the best
altitude when trying to minimize flight time?

If I read my performance charts correctly, my aircraft (Piper Turbo
Arrow III -- service ceiling 20,000 ft) seems to gain about 2 nts of
*true* airspeed for every 1000 feet you go up. Firstly, does that sound
about right to folks? I assume that this effect is from the decrease in
air friction at high altitudes (even though the prop also has less air
to "push on").

So, unless there is some other factor, I think this means that if the
winds increase at anything higher than 2 nts per 1000 feet, I am best
off staying at the Minimum Enroute Altitude. Is that right?

My experience thus far suggests that most of the time, the winds aloft
speed increase far faster then 2 nts per 1000 feet, so, in general, it
is unlikely that I will do much better than staying at the absolute
minimum altitude. Is that consistent with other folks' experience?

-Sami