Old September 30th 15, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

Default How would YOU design an international soaring center?

Op dinsdag 29 september 2015 23:29:18 UTC+2 schreef :
Good suggestions! Keep them coming!

Let me emphasize, Sports Aviation Foundation will NOT be an operator, so we will not have rental gliders. We hope an operator or two will locate there, and we are confident they will if conditions are good (and they will be).

What we WILL be is a driving force to get the basic facilities placed in the right places and to keep the place attractive to business that will offer things like bunk houses, winch tows, rentals, etc.

Fred

Might be hard to make some decisions because operator and required facilities are tightly interwoven. Many of the bigger European soaring centers are succesful because one entity does everything.
It seems that most fully commercial operations have a goal to make the most profit with the hottest gliders in town (Arcus M, ASH 30, V2CxM). That'll always remain a small potential userbase and given that, limited hours and thus even higher cost.