Old March 20th 05, 09:36 PM

Besides getting permission to remove, you must also have the ok's to
import anything that is out of the US. If you really want the scoop on
how to do it and where to find things, come over to
www.warbirdinformationexchange.org and read through the various
discussions on recoveries. It's no longer an easy task like it was in
the early 60's and up until the mid 80's. Rob Rohr is probably one of
the most knowledgeable guys around there about dealing with the various
governments on aircraft recoveries. Read his advice and let it sink in
and then start making an assesment as to wether you really want to try
it.

Two other things you will need for any recovery and restoration is
plenty of secure, enclosed woking space and a very sizable bank
account. As a data point, my Stinson L-5B will take up almost an entire
T hangar as it's restoration progresses and will eat up better than
10k$ before we even do the engine work. If you are not an A&P or an
I&A, or extremely good friends with one, you will at least double that
$ figure. Move up to a T-6 sized bird and you will be spending at least
50k$ before the engine work. Going bigger just means bigger multipliers
on the dollars. I've got one big warbird project in storage right now
because it is going to take at least two years of careful selection and
probably better than 15k$ just to come up with the necessary wood for
the center section spars.

Want more info? Drop me an email and I'll pass along what I can. I
currently am not taking on any more restorations for clients, but I do
have friends that might, depending on the schedule and what the project
it.

BTW: If you think that you are going to go into this for making money,
forget it and go invest in the stock market instead. That's a heck of a
lot less risky.