Old November 23rd 04, 08:26 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

"Richard Isakson wrote:

The term was properly used. ....... Had
Gann slowed down .......

I appreciate the pointer to a definition of the term "unporting". While
uncommon, it clearly was used in a way that meant something as Mr. Gann
described it - thanks for the education.

OTOH, this still makes no sense, since the airplane had to fly through
the slow speed regime in order to reach the cruise speeds at which the
tail is lightly loaded, and conversely, had to fly through them twice to
land. Why did the aircraft not crash during those flight regimes?
While the plane may have been in steady state for most of the time it
was flying, it wasn't at full speed for the whole time.....

Also, the issue of the "phantom moving CG" also makes no sense.....

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

... OTOH, as "Howard" explained in the quote, if he'd been
more knowledgeable, he might not have survived to write the book.

Nah, see comments above.....

Marc, if you are interested in flying, you should read the book. One

of the
best about flying. In fact, all of his flying books are worth the

time,
just because they very accurately capture the feel of flying. JMHO.

I appreciate the pointer - maybe I'll check them out if I get some time.
I'd still be interested in the rationale behind the issues raised above,
even if the term "unporting" was a real one, describing a phenomena that
could theoretically lead to some problems.

And for BB, I'm quite suitably chilled, thank you :-).

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/