Old January 14th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

Default Wintertime off field landing

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 11:46:24 AM UTC-5, FZ wrote:
Ridge and wave flying pilots. Did you have any experience with out landings in snow covered fields ? How do you land in such conditions, what is to look for. Glider configuration? Are there any special consideration, dangers, etc. Please advise. Thanx.

1) Ground roll is unpredictable. Sometimes it is like ice and you roll along the top and your ground roll is relatively long. If it is soft and poofy, then it can stop you pretty quick.

2) In a field, snow can mask obstacles. A field that looks okay may otherwise be full of rocks or nasty stuff. It's good to previously know if the field you're landing in is a cultivated field or not.

That said, if the snow is quite heavy, it may actually blanket over obstacles that may otherwise damage a glider. But I wouldn't count on it.

3) Ground handling can be a problem. If the snow is deep, you could get your vehicle stuck in the field.

4) The biggest danger is the cold. If you crash or land in a remote area, especially on a cold/windy day, survival is a major concern. Be sure to have SPOT and survival gear. Have heavy duty boots that will keep your feet dry if you need to hike out a distance to get to the farmhouse.

I'm sure others will think of a couple more.

All the best,
Daniel