Old September 27th 05, 09:49 AM
Greg Farris

Technologically, we're just one step away. As soon as clearances are
entered directly into the aircraft's navigation computer, via datalink,
instezad of having to be punched in by the crew, fully automatic
operation will be possible. This will reduce workload for controllers,
who will have direct command,and not have to waste time with
unpredictable human elements.

In reality though, I do not believe the day will ever come when there is
not someone physically on board the aircraft capable of flying it and
landing it safely. There's just no good reason why we would want to do
that.

Once the airlines get pilots' salaries down to bus driver levels, the
"full automatic" system could serve to free one pilot to help with cabin
crew duties, while the other monitors. Later still, the compliment may
be reduced to one pilot only, who, in the course of his normal duties,
never touches the controls.

We will always need someone though to take the blame if something goes
wrong. Pilots are so handy for that.

G Faris