Old December 31st 11, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default question on VOR intersections

Skywise writes:

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, is there a resource somewhere
that lists intersections and gives the VOR's and radials that
make them?

Standard aeronautical charts. Visit http://www.skyvector.com to examine charts
online. On charts, intersections that can be located using VORs will have
little arrows that point to the VOR stations that define them.

Say I'm navigating between intersections. I can use the GPS to
fly direct to these positions. However, it seems to me that,
since intersections are exactly that, an intersection of
radials from two or more VOR's, using this information makes
a good backup in case the GPS goes south. Redundancy,
redundancy, and more redundancy.

Quite so. And with a chart you can use VORs to navigate to most intersections.

But looking at the sectional charts, it's not always readily
apparent what the exact radials are. Sure, I could break out
the straight edge and get a rough idea. But I would think that
since their positions are officially defined by someone (FAA?)
there would be a precise definition somewhere.

The radials are always identified somewhere on the chart, typically near the
VOR station itself. Follow the arrows backwards from the intersection to the
reference VORs, and the radials will be marked there.

Is that what you mean?