Old December 31st 11, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default question on VOR intersections

Skywise writes:

That's the problem with not having 'real' lessons or experience,
so I don't know how it's done in real life.

You can fly directly from waypoint to waypoint using only VORs, as long as the
waypoints are defined with reference to VORs. It's more tedious with VORs, but
it's certainly possible and practical.

I generally am, but what I've found is I need to intercept the
airway after takeoff, and there's usually a waypoint nearby,
or in a recent case, the airway changes direction at a waypoint.

If you use SkyVector, you can plot a route that will provide you with
headings, radials, etc., that you can follow.

Well, since it is only a sim, expiring charts aren't much of an
issue as the sim will not change. And I have twin 1080p's. I
have downloaded sectionals from the FAA and throw them on the
other monitor. It's no big deal to scroll and zoom a bit. I've
got good graphics editing software.

SkyVector is more practical, in my experience.