View Single Post
Old February 21st 19, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default TOW PLANE Accident

In general (likely 98%) I agree with you.
I, and others, lost a friend maybe 30 years ago in NJ with a squirrel on the back end and a friend on the front end.
Friend tried to save the tow (in a L-19 IIRC, not a wimpy towplane), I went to his wake.........

I believe the mantra to our towpilots is, "you get near a control limit while on tow, dump the glider......period.....".
I remember being the PIC (ride, training, don't remember....) in a 2-33, maybe 300' above field and sorta close.
I felt the tow get soft, I elected to abort and go and land.
Towpilot stated later, "I ran a tank dry, I was running in seconds!".
My comment, "you fly your ship, I fly mine.....with me gone, you have one less thing to worry about and your performance is better!"
So, we ate another tow. Big Frikkin deal......I would have happily paid for gas/time on the TP.
We still had 2 flying ships (and a little wasted time) and continued the day with no drama.

Yes, reading the NTSB report sounds like an issue on the glider end and the TP didn't bail early enough. From "facts", this was preventable.
I do not know anyone involved in this, sucks for everyone, site, family, anyone that finds this thread or report.