Old August 27th 10, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Getting rid of the bugs and gotchas!

On 8/26/2010 7:16 PM, akiley wrote:

I mean clear the winds totally in SeeYou then enter the official winds
aloft forecast. Maybe SeeYou does a better job, I haven't really
tested this. I just look at my IGC file from this Wednesday and the
winds were supposed to be 320 at 12kts in the 3000 to 6000 range. At
a few points spanning several minutes, SeeYou came back with winds
from 160 at 2 kts. But maybe this happens and is to be believed. Or
I'm really bad a drawing circles with a glider. Probably the later.

I always let Mobile fill in the blanks. It does a good job of measuring
the wind while circling, so I think it's better to use the actual wind
instead of a forecast wind; less trouble, too. I will sometimes change
the wind settings when I know I am flying into an area where the wind is
different from what Mobile has measured. This is usually the final glide
to the home airport, and since I haven't flown near home for the last
few hours, the wind it measured after the takeoff and the first couple
of thermals as I headed out on course may no longer be correct.
I bought this used iPaq which was listed as a 3700 on the reciept from
Wings and Wheels. Just out of warrantee. The label is worn and
unreadable on the back. Don't know of a software way to positively ID
the unit. It uses the CF cards and an add-on sleeve adapter to hold
the CF card. I have the slightly newer SeeYou Mobil ver 3.12. I have
had lots of IGC files with broken track or perfectly straight lines or
both. Also, I have to reboot my iPaq on a daily basis. Not sure if I
replace the iPaq next or the GPS. I did get an uninterrupted file
this wednesday on a 2.5 hr flight in the Cirrus.

Mobile for PDAs is a mature, stable program. These problems are almost
certainly hardware related. Can you borrow another Ipaq for a flight or
two?
I just have the navBox called "Magnetic track over ground" at the top
center used as a heading indicator, even though it really is'nt.

Unless you are really in love with magnetic bearings, I suggest you
switch to "track over ground" to use True bearings instead.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz