Old October 1st 14, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default FAA says homebuilders have to build the components of theirprojects off-airport

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:37:22 AM UTC-6, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 5:57:52 AM UTC-6, Sylvia Else wrote:

On 8/08/2014 1:03 AM, Larry Dighera wrote:

FAA Says Hangars No Place For Homebuilders

Having taken a look at the legislation, I have to say that I'm far from

certain that the FAA really has the power to say how hangars are to be used.

It probably should, given that the government is subsidising them, but

to my mind the legislation doesn't go that deep. The airport plan will

show where the hangars are, and the airport owner will not be able to

pull them down and erect something else, but as long as the hangars are

there, I can't see a constraint that they be used for aviation purposes.

Charging a market rate rent when a hangar is not used for aviation

purposes appears to go against the express words of 49 USC 47107.a(13)(B).

Sylvia.

Which is why community level airports should avoid federal funding.

Yes and no. Federal funding helps to insulate the airport against

covetous local politicians seeking to placate their developer campaign

contributors' plans to close the airport so they can develop it.

See: Santa Monica for a prime example.

I agree that it brings some protections, but it also brings a boatload of use constraints. Furthermore the FAA seems unwilling and unable to reign state aviation departments who are making their own set of rules. There are several airports where flying clubs and gliding activities have been adversely impacted.

Frank Whiteley