Old September 8th 04, 12:11 PM
Dan Truesdell

We took our daughter up when she was three. We figured that this was an
age where she would really appreciate the concept. She had been in the
plane a few times before while on the ground, and had a few flights
commercially as well. (On one, we were in the front row of a BAE 320
IIRC. The captain gave us a set of headphones so we could listen in.
She thought that was great.)

When we took her up, I had her in the back seat (in a booster seat that
we use in the car) with mom right next to her in case the flight did not
turn out as planned. Her first comment was "Boy, are we high up!". It
was all downhill from there. The only problem now is that mom is
relegated to the back seat when ever we go anywhere. Our daughter is
now 7, and jumps at the chance to go flying.

Sigtronics does sell a headphone set with a shorter headband, along with
a replacement band when an adult size is needed (got them from Sportys).
We use a chair cushion so she can see better. (I would love to have a
thicker cushion, but that interferes with the control wheel. 1964 C172)
She can handle the plane pretty well, given her 7-year-old size. Good
luck.

Dave wrote:
Howdy all,

I have a young daughter (currently 17 months old) who I am looking
forward to taking up in a plane some day. I have a private pilot's
license and typically fly C172s, Pipers, etc.

I feel she's too young right now, but as soon as she's old enough to
understand most anything we (my wife and I) say to her, we will
consider taking her for a ride.

Has anyone else taking their youngin' for their first flight? What
about seating (carseat compatibility in abovementioned planes)? Are
there headsets for smaller heads? (I didn't see any at Sporty's, at
first look). What else did you do to make the flight as enjoyable as
possible?

Thanks in advance!
Dave M.

--