Old January 5th 05, 08:13 AM
G Farris

In article ,
says...

Just an opinion...

If the sound is really right at lift off, maybe it's the wheels trucks
dropping back. They are designed to hang back-end down. I could imagine that
they thump if the lift of is quick enough.

--

I was thinking something like that too - except in some large airliners,
like the 777, they do not "drop" into that position, but they are pushed by

The sound I'm referring to really is immediately after lift-off. It is far too
early for the gear retraction - in fact, this make a distinct noise as well,
but several seconds later.

Thanks to all who replied - I'm still not sure I know exactly what this
noise is, but at least everyone is thinking along similar lines. . .

G Faris