Old October 6th 05, 07:18 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Andre posted:

As was pointed out earlier, I think the issue is more social then
technical. We have UAVs that are towed to a takeoff point, a computer
program lauches and later lands the vehicle and a pilot sees what the
plane sees via satilite. The flight is carried out, 99% by the
program put into the UAV before departure and the "pilot" takes over
only if they see something on the ground that makes them want to take
a closer look.

(rest snipped for brevity)

All that has happened is that the pilot is outside the cockpit. The UAVs
are *not* acting autonomously, which is a pre-requisite for _pilotless_
operation.

Neil