View Single Post
Old March 28th 18, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant
external usenet poster

Default Confusing SSA hand signals that should be changed

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 5:53:15 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
Kirk makes good points.

Here's what we do at Post Mills. We've made converts out of three other clubs in the region. It works well.

Our signal to take up slack is to level the wings of the glider. The wing runner "confirms" this by giving the take up slack signal as slack taking proceeds. As slack comes out, wing runner raises arm vertically, wing stays level. When ready to begin the launch, the glider gives a rudder wag, confirmed by the wing runner windmilling his arm. The tow pilot acknowledges with a brief rudder wag, then begins the take off.

Efficient, water ballast compatible, easy for everyone involved to see and understand. Why isn't the SSF teaching this?

best regards,
Evan Ludeman / T8

I like your way of doing it. Breaks the launch into distinct, unambiguous sequences with little chance of confusion, and addresses the water ballast equaling issue that inexperienced wing runners can screw up. And makes it obvious that a glider on the grid with level wings is hooked up and could move at any time. Similar to race launches where you go as soon as the rope is tight. Still have to beat into the wing runners not to signal takeoff until they see the rudder waggle. Also, if at any time during the preparation to launch the wing runner sees conflicting traffic, putting the wing down automatically stops the launch.

I'm going to see if I can get our club to try it.

Meanwhile - SSF, are you reading this? I think it's time to re-visit our procedures!

Kirk
St Louis Soaring Assn.