Old October 31st 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Default Used European Sailplane For U.S. Delivery?

Jim wrote:
Yes! I'm going to look at the Kestrel this week.
BTW, I've learned that the past owner died in a power-plane accident at
Santa Ynez, which happens to be where I'd base the sailplane.
Thanks,
Jim

It also happens to be one of the best "bank for bucks" gliders around -
depending on what you pay for it of course.

In my opinion it is one of the best - just not competitive in any specific class
anymore. The Nimbus II came along and the rest is history in the span race.
Local example gets an honest 1:44 - flies sweetly, needs minimal maintenance.
The wings are heavy, and long. Expect the trailer to be the same. Not a glider
to rig each day, unless you have good ground kit, and a strong back. On the
ground she is a bit of a lump, but the rewards in the air are worth it...

"gfoster07k" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim wrote:

I'm looking for a first glass ship with an XL sized cockpit. (To

illustrate:

Front of the DG-500 is fine, An LS-4a is barely large enough, the Jantar

48

Std 2 too tight).
Low time flyer, noncompetition use, so prefer a sweet handling, easy

landing

sailplane. Rather not spend over $30K USD, & it must have a trailer. I'd
look at projects if we can clearly estimate repair cost/time.
Best Regards,
Jim Hultman

Have you considered the Kestral 19 on Wings and Wheels. Huge cockpit
for up to 6 feet 4 inches. It is in Southern California if it still
for sale.

Greg Foster