Old May 7th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Default weather for pilots?

Befor you go overboard, log onton www.chesavtraining.com to see what
meteorologist/flight instructor Scott Dennstaedt is doing. He writes for
several aviation publications and participates in web forums and backs up
what he says with scientific analysis (he worked in modeling for the NWS). I
understand that he is writing a book, and I will be first in line to buy it.

Bob Gardner

"Qzectb" wrote in message

Are there readers in this newsgroup who have a strong interest in
weather as it relates to aviation? I don't mean just the stuff you
need to get from point A to B safely or to pass your written but
deeper knowledge -- where and why does icing occur? The physics of
thunderstorms? Turbulence? Fog and clouds? How are aviation
forecasts prepared? What is the technology behind automated weather
observations? And how about the meteorological research aircraft that
penetrate hurricanes?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I'm both a pilot and a professor of meteorology, and I have already
written a couple of successful college textbooks. I've been thinking
about the above book as my next possible project, but would only
bother if I had a sense that there was real interest.