Old May 8th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

Default weather for pilots?

On May 6, 10:57 pm, Qzectb wrote:
Are there readers in this newsgroup who have a strong interest in
weather as it relates to aviation? I don't mean just the stuff you
need to get from point A to B safely or to pass your written but
deeper knowledge -- where and why does icing occur? The physics of
thunderstorms? Turbulence? Fog and clouds? How are aviation
forecasts prepared? What is the technology behind automated weather
observations? And how about the meteorological research aircraft that
penetrate hurricanes?

In a nutshell, I'm trying to gauge the potential interest in a book
that would satisfy the curiosity of the more scientifically minded
pilot. Does such a book already exist?

I'm both a pilot and a professor of meteorology, and I have already
written a couple of successful college textbooks. I've been thinking
about the above book as my next possible project, but would only
bother if I had a sense that there was real interest.

Weather is to a pilot as water is to a fish.
(you may quote me ;-).

Understandably weather in ground school was quite
superficial, as pilots are generally not academically
inclined, where alot of algebra is concerned, however
they tend to think in visualizations so use diagrams,
and comics. Vectors and vector analysis (without
calculus) is as deep as I'd go with GA pilots.

One of my hobbies is to watch the contrails as they
fade for signs of turbulence. I live near the Rockies
and right inside an airway so lots of jets fly high over.
Also have a great view of final approach south into
Kelowna, going down the okenagan valley.
Ken