Old June 11th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default EW microRecorder and ERIXX

I'll second what the others have said in favor of the EW
MicroRecorder. I have owned one for almost a year and a half now and
I absolutely love it. I wish I had bought the model with the
removable SD Card (this is now standard on all EW's).

NOTE: If you supply the EW with ship's power, you don't need to remove
it from the glider to charge it. Saves wear and tear on the
connectors - they _are_ fiddly for the antenna, but they aren't overly
fragile - I take mine out after every flight, its had 60+ connect/
disconnect cycles so far without a hiccup.

The EW is simple to operate and basically "maintenance-free"; much
different from Volksloggers or other loggers with lots of buttons and
menus. The EW is designed _not_ to provide navigation or other stuff
(unlike some other loggers), because the manufacturers assume you're
connecting it to a PDA or other device with a good screen for a moving
map and flight computer functions. This keeps the EW small, light,
and simple.

Another note: When hooked up to 12v power from the aircraft, it turns
on automatically - no need to worry about seeing the lights in the
sun. If you want, just put a switch or fuse or circuit-breaker in
your panel to control when you turn on the EW. It has so much memory
capacity - and an auto-record feature that can kick in at a certain
altitude or speed - that you can also simply have it turn on whenever
your main battery is hooked up. The EW itself draws very little power
- but beware your PDA; which can draw as much as 1 amp (sometimes
more)!

Good luck,

--Noel
P.S. I'd offer praise for the ERIXX, but I don't own one and don't
have much experience with them. I don't think either device is a bad
choice - you need to look at your situation (glider, power, PDA, etc)
and determine which is more appropriate.