Old February 7th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Cheap tiny video cameras - what works best?

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 03:39:30 -0800, Chris Nicholas wrote:

Martin, connecting the camera to PC via a USB lead sometimes works and
sometimes doesn't. I don't know why. But the first time I tried it,
without having loaded the driver CD, it said it recognised there was
something there but couldn't open it.

I wonder if that was a bad USB cable? My camers has always 'just worked
off the USB cable.

After loading the CD, it worked fine at first.

It would be interesting to know exactly what's on the CD - maybe a driver
with improved error handling and retries?

After I posted my earlier message, I found on Techmoan's website (to
which I gave a link) that he has posted a download link for the driver.
I haven't tried it, as I already have the CD, and he says it is the
version 3, which may not work with others though I suspect it probably
would. So it looks like nobody need buy the more expensive
Amazon-sourced version (£24 vs £14, roughly).

Interestig stuff, but no use to me: I run Linux so Windows drivers are
not a lot of use...

I have used the method of putting the SD card into a holder and card
reader, and yes, that works. But I wasn't sure that it would work if I
had not already used the CD. I suppose it probably would be okay.

I don't see why not. The SD card remains a FAT-16 (or maybe FAT-32 format
if its bigger than 4 GB) and so standard USB mass storage drivers should
still know how to handle it. BTW, the stated max AVI file size of 4GB is
a FAT disk format limit rather than a camera quirk - the later, better
cameras can make longer recordings given an external power supply, but
they will chop it into 4GB chunks to get round that limit.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK