Old November 25th 04, 12:52 PM
JDupre5762

Someone else just told me a story where their engine core that they
exchanged was rejected by the engine overhaul company, for an unexpected
additional cost of around US $6,000. I never thought that a core would
be rejected. Sheesh.

How about two engine cases rejected? Lycoming has apparently adopted a policy
that if an engine case has been reworked by anyone other than an a Lycoming
approved facility they will reject the case as unairworthy. Funny thing is
they never told the distributor or the customer until after the fact. The
cases were reworked at a previous overhaul by an FAA approved shop and process.

I have a customer who has this problem and of course my employer is left
holding the bag. Talking to an overhaul shop they say they are hearing about
this more and more and equate it to Lycoming's recent production problems. It
is believed they are trying to improve cash flow by forcing people to pay for
new Lycoming parts at every turn. Might work in the short term but in the long
term no one with any sense is going to go for factory new or overhaul if they
risk losing the value of the core.

As of now they are not even sure they still have the old cases to return to the
owner.

John Dupre'