Old March 26th 04, 11:12 PM
Richard Lamb

Dick wrote:

Ryan,
I ordered the $57 book and hope it addresses my question of how a nose gear
is attached to a metal firewall.
Thanks, Dick

Well, for starters, a nose gear is usually NOT connected to the
firewall.

It needs a lot more support than a piece of .017 stainless can offer.

Most likely, you'll weld up a nose gear mount structure that ties
into the engine mount.

Jim Clement used this approach to put an RV-6A nosegear on his Tailwind.
(That's turned out to be a very popular mod, too)

The Mustang, being a sheel metal airplane, has reinforcenemts behind
the firewall to handle the engine mount loads.

I'd suggest a little stress analysis to see how that area will stand up
to ground loads imposed by nose gear.

Best of luck,

Richard