Old October 4th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Engine analyzers

I'm very happy with my JPI. I originally got it for the reasons you
did, however, what I really like about it now is that when I have a 30
year old factory instrument it isn't working as well as I'd like, I can
just plug a sensor into the JPI and have a digital gauge for the same.

I've added fuel flow (LOVE IT!!, couldn't live without it), OAT, oil
temp.

At one point I was tracking down a strange, intermitant electrical
issue. Being able to read the exact voltage off the JPI really made it
easier to dignose the problem in flight (low charge vs. no charge).

The only complaint I have with the JPI and GEM systems is that you are
doing a LOT with a couple of buttons. It gets to be quiet a dance
trying to figure out all the combinations of things you can do with two
buttons, especially once you add more features like fuel flow.

Also, I often fly with students who hate their JPI and can't figure out
how to make it show peak EGT. The problem is almost always that they
have a really old version of the software. Upgrading the unit addresses
the problem.

Also, at one point JPI tried to make the output of the unit (you can
download everything to your PC) propietary. That is now long since
history but people will often bring it up as a grip. I don't have as
much time behind the GEM system.

-Robert

pgbnh wrote:
Any recommendations (positive or negative) for engine analyzers. To be
installed in a Beech Sierra, IO360-A1B6 engine. What features are most
useful, which less so. Is fuel flow per cylinder important?
My mechanic likes the JPI. Any specific feedback on them would be helpful.

We would install the analyzer for a few reasons:
1. Desire for early problem detection in an engine that is already beyond
TBO (the engine was rebuilt, but not overhauled, as a result of a prop
strike about 800 houir ago). If things are beginning to go bad, I am hoping
that the analyzer will find them first
2. Desire to 'pamper' a 'senior-citizen' engine that, other than age and
hours, runs great, great compression, consistent oil use
3. Maybe even save some fuel dollars thru more effective leaning (only have
egt now)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts