Old August 30th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Armstrong

Default Dr. Paul MacCready passes away

Many have probably just heard the news that Dr. Paul MacCready passed
away in his sleep yesterday. Paul was a renowned innovator, founder
of AeroVironment, and a key soaring figure. He is known as the
"father of human-powered flight", and just this month we celebrated
the 30th anniversary of the Gossamer Condor's record-setting
flight. He participated almost every year in the Experimental
Soaring Association's Western Workshop here in Tehachapi, and he and
his son, Tyler had already RSVPed for this weekend's event. He
challenged us all to do more with less, to innovate and to tackle new
opportunities. How we shall miss him.

AeroVironment has established an online book of condolences and
biography of Dr. MacCready at www.avinc.com/maccready.

Be sure and read the obituary notices in the press; I cannot do
justice in writing one.

Rest in peace, dear Paul. Thanks for touching our lives.

Janice Armstrong
Tehachapi, California