Old August 6th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Stability augmentation promises to give you even less control

Friedrich Ostertag writes:

ESP undenieably saved thousands of lifes, and the conceived systems for
airplanes could possibly do the same.

ESP is nonexistent in most cars (maybe BMW or someone like that is
implementing it), so how can it be saving thousands of lives?

Just like in cars electronic systems can also outperform humans in airplanes
when it comes to tasks involving very rapid an precise reactions.

And just as in cars, digital systems have catastrophic modes of failure when
confronted with situations that were not foreseen and programmed for during
the design of the systems.

There is really not much point in arguing about stability systems
taking away authority from the pilot.

Why not? It has been hotly debated for decades, and there is still no
consensus on it.

Remember how pilots first detested the stall prevention systems
implemented by airbus?

Some pilots still detest the systems on Airbus. In any case, small aircraft
don't have stall prevention systems, as a general rule.

Not one case has been proven, where a system override over the pilots
stick input has been to the worse and caused an undesireable result.

Not one case has been proven where a system override prevented a crash.

And just like ESP on a car I would imagine that the stability augmentation
systems in airplanes could be disabled if you intendedly want to push the
envelope of your plane and know what you are doing.

I prefer a system that needs to enabled explicitly to a system that needs to
be disabled explicitly (and I don't even want to think about a system that
cannot be disabled).