Old October 18th 20, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Default Wheel brake effectiveness standards

I had an emergency breaking situation where really good breaking saved the day! I was flying our ASH-25 with a new partner out of Williams, Ca. I had several flights with the new guy, but he’d never landed the bird, so I asked if he’d like to make the landing? He said NO, rather firmly and in retrospect, I should have listened, but we had plenty of runway and low winds, so I kinda forced the issue.........bad idea, if someone doesn’t want to do something, that means he isn’t comfortable with it! Well he turned final way too soon.....kinda like where he’d have turned when flying his ASW-20, but here we were, on final a good 300 feet to high! I thought about doing a 360, but thought that might be more dangerous, so we proceeded down final with full spoilers and landing flaps on. Next thing I knew, we were still inches in the air as the hangar went by.........and the south end of the hangar is about 100 feet from the fence! Finally touched down with both of us on the brakes as hard as we could pull aft on the spoiled handle! I could smell burning rubber as smoke rolled out of the wheel well accompanied by loud squealing sound!
We rolled right up the the fence and stopped ...........I kid you not, 1 foot from the fence!
JJ