Old March 29th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

An actually interesting thread on RAS.

My comment, when I was an active CFIG or letting a ride handle the controls, was, "I will let you get over your head, my goal is to NOT let you get over my head."

Thus far, over decades of rides and about a decade of instruction......no bent ships. Yes, I had a few "experts" get well into the hole, but I always kept a few "outs".
The goal, in general, was NOT to scare the other person, it was either to show how much worse it could get, or, how bad you messed up being an "expert".
As an instructor, the followup conversation was, "what did you see, how did it feel, how did it sound........followed by, what was your plan".

Sometimes that gets you an idea of what needs work.

I was checking out in a Piper Pacer with a CFI that flew with us. The field had an "interesting" approach way back when.
After one landing, I was asked, "how close to the tree tops were we?".
My reply, "maybe 10' "?

The CFI was happy, I knew where we were.
On short final, the towrope would tear the tops off trees and we were staged just beyond. So, being in the right spot at the right speed was paramount depending on weather. You would actually be even with tree tops on either side of final if it was correct, but had a bit below in "the slot".

Interesting subject, makes me think back to other things I have seen over the years and wonder if this topic was a factor.