Old April 17th 19, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 4:16:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Sounds like what we really need is Auto Flaps, or Auto Spoiler that reads the VASI,s and adjusts the spoilers as required, then deploys up-flaps as soon the squat switch says your down. That way the pilot is free to pick lint balls out of his naval during approach!
:) JJ

Why not spoilers designed so that they just stay where you put them? I've only flown one glider that did that reliably, my PIK 20D. The spoilers did not snatch on opening, there was no friction or drag in the system, and they simply stayed where ever you left them. Is that a lost art? The PIK 20 isn't new tech, certainly. The only place where they wouldn't stay is full on, if you took your hand away they would drop to about 2/3.