Old August 17th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Carriere

Default Look at Van's Blather here.

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Jim Carriere" wrote in message
.. .
Jerry Springer wrote:
Jim Carriere wrote:

That sounds a bit like the story of the RV-6. I thought it was
originally intended for the O-320, and as more and more builders were
apparently successful with O-360 installations, Van designed the RV-7
with that (among other changes) in mind.
I built, own and still fly after 18 years the second customer built RV-6
and it has always been designed for an O-320 Or a O-360.

Hmmm, OK, was the -6 designed for the O-360 (to improve on the -4)? Or am
I misinformed?

The RV-4 and RV-6 were designed for the 150-180 hp O (and IO) 320's and
360's.. Of course, clever builders started installing the angle valve
IO-360, which is a 200 hp engine and is significantly heavier than the
intended engines. So Van's introduced the RV-7 and RV-8 which are intended
to use any of the 150-200 hp engines. Accordingly, clever builders are
installing IO-390's and IO-400's, boosting compression, etc., so once again
people are installing bigger, more powerful engines than Van intended.

Aaah, got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I think that if Van offered a PT-6 option, someone would want to shoehorn in
the 15,000 hp Kuznetsov turbine liberated from a Tu-95 Bear bomber.

Heheheh, but why stop at 15,000?