Old January 10th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Troubling story and some questions

Philip Plane wrote:
Martin Gregorie wrote:

I noticed the same thing in a Libelle 201 when I tried using the brakes
at high speed.

Out of curiosity, do you remember the speed at which you tried that?

The fastest I've opened them to date was 70 kts. Mine's a 201 (not B
series). They opened as easily as usual (mine has a pretty fierce over
center even when stationary) but the deceleration was immediately
noticeable - I thought that wasn't bad at all for a glider thats famous
for having weak brakes!

I tried at 80 and 100 knots. 80 was OK, but 100 was stiff enough to
require a serious pull that made it difficult to not snatch the brakes
open. I didn't try any faster.

Thanks for the information.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie