Old September 24th 03, 04:10 AM
Marc

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
Hi Flight Sim addicts, has anybody besides me started getting way more
spam to the email address they registered on Google Groups with?
Before I registered last week, my hotmail address got very little
spam, maybe 1 a week, the evening after registering my account size
was over limit, all crap like phony security updates and email
delivery failures to totally weird email address that i definatly
never tried to email too. And every day it's over limit again unless i
put on full junk mail filter which would probably delete any wanted
mail too. Its very obvious that Google is selling our address (at
least mine) to spammers

I highly doubt Google is selling your email address to spammers.

There are myriad ways that spammers can get your email address. The most
common is if you use it to post in a public newsgroup. You must use a
"throw-away" email address for all such postings, or find some way to munge
it (which google will not allow you to do).

You should not complain to Google, they are not responsible for your spam.
If you want to learn who to complain to and how to do it, check out the
website www.spamcop.net esp. some of their mailing lists. This will tell you
most of what you need to know, and you can use their free reporting service
to trace back the origins of your spam. I suspect in most cases you find
that it was sent via open proxy (untracable) and hosted on spam-friendly
servers in China and Brazil.

-Marc