Old July 27th 09, 12:30 PM
Gene Hilsheimer Gene Hilsheimer is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Copeland[_2_] View Post
To all my friends in the United States of America.

You may have got the impression from some recent correspondence on this
site that winch launchings is about as risky as bungey jumping or joining
a Kamikaze squadron!
I have only had time to read a few of the replies to this thread... but after a year of flying with Fenlands Glider Club at RAF Marham - back in the late 80's I ended up with some 120+ winch launches. Now, some 23 years later, I'm back in the cockpit, learning aerotows.

I never felt concerned with any of my winch launches... even my 50ft cable break. And learning to operate the winch after going solo was also an experience I wouldn't give anything for.

I'm happy with my aerotows as they get me a bit higher than any of my winch launches... but from one who has done both, I'd say that I would be happy with either. Both are as safe as the pilot being launched and the launch operator, be it winch or tow plane.