Old January 2nd 11, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
n7ly

Default poor lateral control on a slow tow?

..
*'Actually the only totally reliable sysmptom of being stalled is that
the elevator will no longer raise the nose.'

HUH? * Many cases possible where we could have full elevator and not
be stalled. *(I demonstrate this is 2-33 and grob 103 and ask-21.
All you need is heavy pilot (forward CG) and gentle stick back to the
stop. *Glider will mush, but not stall. *Elevator will not raise the
nose........wing does not have angle to stall.

..
whoa - depends on who's defining "stall". The FAA definition is indeed
that when the aircraft does not respond in the direction of the
control input that it's done. When you can no longer move the elevator
up, you're done. Nose doesn't respond in direction of aft stick
deflection, you're stalled. I don't remember exactly the way they
word it, but the result is that touch the elevator limit, that's it.
Slow entry rates result in higher stall speeds. Forward cg's give
higher stall speeds. Trim settings (on some configs) affect stall
speeds. Weight, etc., etc. The scene that seems the most insidious
is the slow entry rate. They sneak up on you, kind of like a slow tow.