Old December 18th 11, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]

Default Club Class

On Dec 17, 12:45*pm, 5 ugly wrote:
On Dec 17, 11:47*am, "John Godfrey (QT)"
wrote:

On Dec 17, 11:36*am, 5 ugly wrote:

After working very hard to promote the Club Class I found that the
powers to be were not interested. The RC waits for a sign of interest
from the masses while not encouraging the masses to be interested!
Partial blame must also rest with pilots who own and fly Club Class
glider. This group is the largest single group of gliders in the US.
There are more Club Class gliders in the US than all other classes
combined. You must want change in order to get change. 5U

As the "new kid on the RC" when this started I must vigorously
disagree that the "powers that be were not interested." I and others
on the RC would like nothing more that for every national contest to
be oversubscribed and there to be waiting lists at regionals. In a
situation like this creating a new class is a no-brainer. Alas, this
is not the case in our sport. *Participation at the national level is
decreasing and overall is barely holding its own. *Contest organizers
sturggle to break even.

The RC has the responsibility to avoid actions that further fragment
and possible disenfranchise current competitors (the non-clib sports
class participants).

So the question remains wrt club class interest: "Over the past few
years, how many pilots flew their first contest and flew a club class
glider?"

Please know John that the time you guys put in for the SSA is much
appreciated. Thank goodness for you dedication and efforts. I am just
giving you the way I see it. Also know that *I speak for no one else
but myself
That being said I must point out that the current powers to be have
been in charge for quite a while and according to you *participation
continues to fall, contest organizers struggle to break evenl. Does it
not make since for the RC to try something different, a new direction,
a new way of thinking. *I'm done! 5U

It will never change under current control. Sport Class rules and
rating system is the SSA's way of controlling how we handicap gliders
at us contests not flying fai. It will never change considering those
who call the shots on changing the rules.