Old November 5th 03, 11:25 AM
Robert Ehrlich

"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." wrote:
There is a lot to be said for using a motor-glider for
teaching aerotow landing options, though JJ won't like this idea!

I agree with JJ's opinion. My computation identified the minumum of
Vz*V as an important factor in the possibility of turning back, and
this values is usually much higher in a motor-glider, due to higher
wing loading and worse aerodynamic.

As to wire launch failures at Dunstable, yes there is often a very narrow
gap between being too low to turn and too high to get in straight ahead.

I don't understand clearly what is the problem at Dunstable. What is the
length of runway ahead of you when you reach 150m?

Often the field is partly blocked by gliders
awaiting retrieve, and tractors on their way to do the retrieve.

In this case, if they don't allow a sufficient free space to land
in case of a cable break, you should delay the start.