Old April 7th 05, 09:20 AM

Default Comanche accident averted last evening

Just another day of flying in the bay area yesterday - or so I thought.
It was past 7:45 pm. Beautiful evening sunset. Winds 330@12. No gusts.
No turbulence. I was on my third touch and go. A Comanche was inbound
and cleared to land on RWY31. I was cleared for the option (number two)
and requested a short approach. On right downwind, Tower instructed me
to do a Left 360 for separation with the Comanche so as to enable my
"short approach" request. After the 360, I re-entered midfield right
downwind and saw the Comanche go past the numbers... just beginning her
flare. At that very moment, Tower in a very calm (yet urgent) tone said
"No gear. Go around. No landing gear Comanche x-x-Yankee. Go around
now!". My eyes were popping out of my sockets as I saw the Comanche
pull away into the air with less than ten feet distance from the
runway. As I pulled my throttle and descended a few seconds later, I
heard the Comanche pilot thank the controller as he flew the pattern...
his voice shaking in disbelief. He said he did everything he usually
does... not sure how or why he missed extending the landing gear. I
don't think he slept well in the night. Thankfully, plane & pilot got
away without harm.

I have a new level of respect for ATC after what happened today. And an
even higher level of respect for Checklists!

- Aman