Old April 9th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gerry Caron

Default Orlando area airports

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...

Crimeny . . . talk about dating yourself :) , , ,, Mike, all the
BUFFs are gone from MCO for a couple of decades (early 70's maybe)
except one that sits somewhat obsured by trees as a Gate Guard at the
entrance to the International Airport. I have wondered if there is a
way to drive to it to get a closer look. I remember visiting Orlando
when I was a kid and seeing them fly around, thought they were so
cool.

The Beeline is still there . . . the Central Florida Autobahn . . .
but I think the tolls about $1.75 going from MCO to I-95. Was it
really 10 cents?

McCoy AFB shut down in the 70's, but they did have B-52s satellite based at
MCO into the early 80's -- still there in '82 IIRC.

You can get to the B-52 park. Going into the main entrance towards the
terminal, take the first exit past the Beeline (oops... it's now officially
called the Beachline -- don't ask). The exit is marked for remote
parking -- Blue Lot and Gold Lot. When you get to the traffic light end of
the ramp, turn left (the Blue Lot entrance is straight ahead.) You are now
on the perimeter road. About 200 yards ahead the road turns right heading
back towards the Beeline past the air cargo area on the left. When you get
down close to the fence at the Beeline you can take a right turn into the
B-52 park.

The Beeline toll is $1.25 between MCO and I-95. Basically the same as it
was in the mid 80's. The big difference is that there is just one toll
booth just east of SR-417, instead of 2 or 3 scattered along the way.

Gerry