Old July 13th 03, 11:16 AM
John Cook

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:57:56 -0400, Peter Kemp
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:49:24 GMT, "Tom Schoene"
wrote:

"John Cook" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:20:30 -0400, Peter Kemp
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:18:26 +1000, John Cook
wrote:

take a look at
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/374892/M/

Great photo - but what's that on the port side pylon? Looks almost
like a wingless TALD.

Its the Defensive Aids Sub System (DASS) pod it contains a Laser
Warning Receiver, among several other systems!!.

See http://www.eurofighter.starstreak.ne.../defences.html

for full details

John, I think he's asking about the gizmo in the pylon inbaord of the
wingtip, not the DASS pod at the tip itself.

Spot on Tom.

My guess is that it's an instrumentation pod of some sort, possibly for
AMCI, or maybe for flight testing.

The tail looks vaguely like it may have an outlet, not an exhaust -
possibly a towed decoy of some kind - thought my memory, fuzzy thing
that it is, is telling me a towed decoy is part of the standard fitted
DASS.

See http://www.airliners.net/open.file/374890/M/
for the smokewinder pic...

Cheers

John Cook

Any spelling mistakes/grammatic errors are there purely to annoy. All
opinions are mine, not TAFE's however much they beg me for them.

Email Address :-

Eurofighter Website :-
http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk