Old March 13th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Turn to Final - Keeping Ball Centered

terry wrote in
:

On Mar 13, 4:55*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
WJRFlyBoy wrote
innews:au07i6kpg998.na9z6vwx

:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:46:16 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Tina wrote in
:

I don't think anyone has suggested this, but there is a nearly
universal cure if you find yourself uncomfortably out of a
reasonable approach condition -- simply say to yourself this
isn't looking good enough, *go around, and do better the next
time.

It's my uneducated opinion that too many perfectly good airplanes
get turned to scrap because pilots continue to commit to an
action that has become untenable. You have a hand on the throttle
and it's important to remember to be ready to push it in if you
don't like the way things are shaping up.

Absolutely.

Don't let ego get in the way of good judgement.

True again. Sometimes it's not ego, though. A lot of thigs come
into play, especially if conditions are tough. It's a curious
thing, the sort of single-mindedness that often accompanies an
accident.

Bertie

Lesson here is go-around if concerned and make sure you are preset
for that option?

Yeah. Should be, but we're only human. We have a two approach limit,
too. We're not allowed to do a third one ( company manual)
the number of accidents off a third approach is alarming.

so you just stay up there? :)

Yeah, I've been holding over Wayne county since '83

Bertie