Old December 19th 16, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney

Default Static Wing Load Testing of Old Wooden Glider Wings

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 8:52:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Jeff,

This past summer, the Vintage Sailplane Association published an English translation of the German book by Hans Jacobs, Werkstattpraxis (Workshop Practice). It is available directly from the VSA or Cumulus Soaring in the US and Eqip in Europe. This book details the construction, inspection, and maintenance of wood gliders.

There are also a number of articles in recent quarterly issues of the Bungee Cord by the VSA and the VGC News published by the Vintage Glider Club that describe the various glues used in the construction of wooden German gliders.

I would strongly suggest getting a copy of the Workshop Practice book and joining one or both of the vintage organizations. You will make valuable contacts with either group.

..... Neal

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 7:51:39 PM UTC-6, LongJourney wrote:
I'm restoring a 1963 Std Austria and trying to decide the risks and merits of load testing the wings. I can't find anything definitive on the web, at least nothing that doesn't get contradicted by some other source.

My concern is that load testing may damage the wings in an undetected way. OTOH, I don't want to find out that the spar already has some undetected damage by spotting one wing departing the aircraft while I'm flying it.

Opinions are welcome, but if anyone knows of an AC or other documentation that may shed light on this topic, I would greatly appreciate that information.

Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks, for the replies.

Neal, I joined the VSA this past summer, but haven't had a chance to travel to any of the meets yet. I hope to this coming year. I should have put Workshop Practices on my Christmas list, but failed to do so. I'll order a copy in the next couple of months.

Thanks, again, for the responses.

Jeff