Old October 29th 03, 02:02 AM
John Stricker

Dave,

Can we? I don't know if FOI covers that, but the FAA certification division
sure can. And they have the failure reports on file. That's the point,
though. These conversions AREN'T certified. In effect WE are the
certifying entity and as such the responsibility falls on us and we can't
make that decision with glossed over reports of "trouble-free" service.

John Stricker

"Dave Hyde" wrote in message
John Stricker wrote:

If I'm going to by into something like an auto conversion, I want to

know
how it's failed in the past JUST LIKE I KNOW HOW THE LYCOMINGS AND
CONTINENTALS HAVE FAILED BECAUSE IT'S PUBLIC RECORD FOR THE LAST 50

YEARS.

I hope I didn't scare you with my shouting. 8-)

Not me, anyway, but I have an honest question: Do major
GA engine manufacturers make data on failures *in development*
available to the public? Can we see test-to-failure data
on the new engines Lycoming, Superior, Mattituck, etc.
are putting out for homebuilts? Where?

Seems to me what an auto conversion needs is a 'sugar daddy'
to put up big $$$ to fund develompent and testing testing testing.
I'm not holding my breath.

Dave 'enquiring mind' Hyde