Old June 18th 04, 02:52 PM
Barnyard BOb -

Hoppy wrote:

Bryan wrote:

2-stroke engines can be just as if not more reliable than 4-strokes. Look
at the big rigs on the road, a very large number of them are 2-stroke
engines pulling very heavy loads for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Yeah, 2-stroke diesels. Valves, not ported cylinder walls. Pressure lubrication,
not diluted oil/fuel mist.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Heh, heh.

Bryan is obviously correct...
for as far as he cared to take the argument.

I suspect the reason we haven't seen much of 2-stroke or 4-stroke
aviation diesels with valves and pressure lubrication is that they've
been heavy and more costly to manufacture than the gas 4-strokes
we currently enjoy. Cheap gas in the past also played a large role.
However, times are a changing, so stay tuned, eh?

Kudos to you, Hoppy, for filling in the blanks.

Barnyard BOb - born in the dark, but not last night.