Old December 26th 05, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Basic Training Gliders - DG1000 Rear Seat

I have now tried flying from the rear seat of the DG1000
with some extra safety cushions under me. Sitting higher
does indeed improve the view forward quite markedly,
especially as I can now see over the top of the front
seat headrest.

Derek Copeland
----------------

At 02:00 05 December 2005, Paul wrote:
Derek
Try adjusting the sitting position to suit you before
you fly in the thing.
Most instructors tend to hop and fly without getting
things right. The
number of times I have people whinging about the ****
poor this and the crap
that and I find that they havn't even noticed something
is adjustable to
alleviate that issue.
The rear seat of the 1000 is adjustable up and down.
I am 6'4 and have no
trouble sitting too low in the back of our 1000 if
I don't raise the seat.
In fact the first time I flew it from the rear I assumed
I would need the
seat bottomed out. Big mistake! I couldn't see and
could only just reach the
rudder pedals. I felt like I was in a pit. Next flight
adjusted the seat
till my head just cleared the canopy and things where
totally different. Far
better vis

-------------------------------------
The original adjustable rear seat, which was a hinged
device held up by a seat belt strap with an adjustable
buckle, has been removed from our DG1000 and replaced
with a High Density Foam safety cushion, as the CFI
and the Committee felt it was poorly engineered and
dangerous. Indeed the strap adjuster broke during the
brief period we had a demonstrator on trial for evaluation,
even without any heavy landings. So I am afraid the
option that Paul suggests is not open to me. By the
way getting permission to do this simple modification
cost the club a small fortune, because we had to get
it approved and certified by EASA! F***ing Bureaucrats
and F***ing European Commission again!

I am 5' 10' tall with a fairly long back, but short
legs, so I am quite tall sitting down. I regularly
instruct in the K13, K21, Duo Discus, Grob G103, Bocian,
and now the DG1000. The best forward view from the
rear cockpit is offered by the K13 and the Duo Discus
which both have one piece canopies, and the Bocian
which has a large front canopy and flies in a rather
nose down attitude. The K21, Grob 103 and DG1000 all
have two piece canopies with a hoop in between them
which somewhat restricts the forward view, especially
in the case of the DG which seems to have a narrower
cockpit and the hoop further forward. It is definitely
the worst of the bunch in this respect!

I will try a few extra cushions under my backside next
time I fly it, as sitting higher probably would improve
my view forward.

Can I add a one-piece canopy to my wish list?

Derek Copeland