Old July 19th 03, 01:37 AM
S. Sampson

"CFA3" wrote

I recently read a report about the next round of base closures, and
was quite surprized to see NELLIS AFB on the list. In many ways I can
see it, in that it is nearly completely encroached upon by Vegas
growth and the size, being relatively small. Currently, there are
issues of security, as well, since you can walk right up to the fence
on the north end and practicaly spit on the a/c as they fly overhead.
(Not that this patriot would do such a thing of course).

Question is, should this happen, where would you move Range training
assets? Tonopah? Build new? Just wondering

Nevada is in pretty bad shape. Most of the range is under attack by
conservationists and property owners. Teachers and doctors are
fleeing the state, as the first can't buy insurance, and the second can't
afford to live there. Around Nellis you have a bunch of retired people
who flock to the commissary, and then complain about the jet noise
on the golf courses. During the in-briefing you are told to abandon the
jet, rather than overfly a golf course on emergency return. Aim it for the
desert, and give it back to the taxpayers.

Nellis and the red-flag/green-flag program will have to be moved. It is
no longer a viable range do to the politics of the state.