Old March 4th 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Make Sailplane Racing Great Again

So, I'm not interested in racing.
Why?

Well, for me the challenge is to go out and return the furthest possible. When I'm departing from Fayence in Southern France, that means that I take off, admire the sight of the ships on the Mediterrenean Sea, go to the north east for some 300-400 km straight (you need to pass acouple of mountain passes of which the lowest is around 7500 ft, the highest about 10'000 ft), you pass at least 2 different weather zones, you do ridge soaring at 12'000 ft above glaciers, you pass the Matterhorn along the way to Central Switzerland.

And then you turn back, if all works well you start final approach about 100 miles out, passing the last low mountain pass with a clearing of 500 ft, and you'll be arriving around 8 pm, admiring the big boats out on the sea again.

So, why the hell would I spend 10 days on a competition over some dull flat lands, flying half of the days, and half of the possible time on each flying day?!

I want to fly, and I need to make sure that the few vacations I can take result in the best flying experience.

That excludes racing by definition.