View Single Post
Old March 24th 20, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The Decline of Soaring Awards

John you brought up a common issue. I second Marks advise. You can actually train all of the skills needed to fly xc right there within safe gliding distance from your home field without the need for an expensive two place ship. Short field and spot landings, effecient entry-coring-leaving thermals, choosing and monitoring cruising speed, calculating and flying final glides can all be taught using your 2-33 albit you need some relatively decent soaring wx days. I have actually done this with my restored 2-22. A nice 30 mile triangle can be flown in a low performance trainer and never be more than 5 miles away from the home field. Having a xc experienced and willing CFI is not necessary. Any experienced xc flier can demonstrate the skills needed sitting back seat in your 2-33. He can also lead in the 2-33 while an inexperienced guy follows in the Lark.

As for an inexpensive xc bird, the 1-26 was actually designed around the very idea your club is struggling with. They were designed to be inexpensive, easy to fly, very easy to land in small fields and easy to crew for and of performance for guys to pursue badges up thru gold. It was intended to be the first xc ship for club use. Incidentally, the 1-26 is still responsible for earning more silver and gold badges than any other machine here in North America. Many of us have pursued the challenge of doing much more with these birds with a couple hundred guys earning all three diamonds in one, and if the xc bug really hits a club member, we have our own regional 1-26 records and a national Championship every year.

So John, there is hope and right now you pretty much have what you need to get the ball rolling at xc already in hand. You can get guys going xc without laying out big bucks for the glass.

Our club was in the same position when I moved here. We have a blanik for training and a 1-26 that was not being utilized much. Our club guys who did’nt own there own ship were slightly interested in xc but all thought it would take having a much higher performing ship. I started showing the guys what fun I could have with a 1-26 and lo n behold, now two years later we have four 1-26’s flying here along with a group of club guys taking the club ship to this years 1-26 Championships. Good luck John, any help I can lend to you guys, just drop me a line.
Dan
Dan