Old June 20th 04, 09:14 AM
Friedrich Ostertag

Hi George,

I believe it would be the other way round. Nose down will induce a
yaw to the right, nose up will induce yaw to the left.

Nope. Bring the tail up during the takeoff roll on my plane, and she
will try hard to make a left turn. My prop is a tractor that rotates
clockwise when seen from the cockpit.

You are right!

I got it mixed up - for that mentioned "rule of the right hand" the
thumb has to be the axis of gyroscopic rotation (prop) while the index
finger represents the imposed rotation, in this case nose down resp
tail up, axis pointing to the left. Thus the middle finger is pointing
up, indicating an induced rotation or yaw to the left.

The same way it will also work for the other cases: nose up - yaw to
the right, yaw right - nose down, yaw left - nose up.

This way it also figures with the explanation Jose has given.

regards,
Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress