Old January 4th 05, 11:12 AM
Dave

"Kevin O'Brien" wrote in message
om...
which requires a 12V source for power, but only drains 250mA during
operation, so I keep a small gel-cell battery in my flight bag with a cig
lighter socket pigtailed to the terminals. It works great, but I'm afraid

attach that little battery to my auto batt charger, and don't think a

13.8V
wall-wart charger has enough current to push into the battery. The RG
Charger in Jim's article looks like the ticket, but I wanted to be sure

that
I was using the right tool for the job, and needed a shopping list to take
to Radio Shack.

Thanks.

Kevin M. O'Brien

Seffner, Florida.

Kevin, if you want to charge from a regulated source of similar voltage such
as your car battery, the solutions are cheap and easy. Just put a light bulb
in series with the battery on the charge cord. The lamp will limit the
current but still allow a full charge. Total cost, about $2. Make sure the
current does not exceed the recommendations of the battery maker. A 15W lamp
(common) allows a little under 1 amp into a discharged cell.