Old January 6th 05, 01:19 AM
Model Flyer

"Kevin O'Brien" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

As I still rent from my local FBO, and they have apparently had a

few acft
returned in the past with dead batteries, they have summarily

disabled all
of the cig lighter sockets in all of their acft. I fly with a

PDA-based GPS
which requires a 12V source for power, but only drains 250mA during
operation, so I keep a small gel-cell battery in my flight bag with

a cig
lighter socket pigtailed to the terminals. It works great, but I'm

afraid to
attach that little battery to my auto batt charger, and don't think

a 13.8V
wall-wart charger has enough current to push into the battery. The

RG
Charger in Jim's article looks like the ticket, but I wanted to be

sure that
I was using the right tool for the job, and needed a shopping list

to take
to Radio Shack.

While the normal wet type of battery requires up to 15 volts to
charge it properly if you use a charger designed for them on a
gel-cell it will fry it, had some gel-cell batteries fry for that
reason. Be sure that any charger you use on a 12v gel-cell does not
exceed the recommended 13.6v.
--
..
..