Old January 9th 04, 04:50 AM
Kevin Brooks

wrote in message
I recently acquired a photo of a B-29 named "Georgia Peach." Does
anyone know what is the little camels painted below the pilot's window
on the B-29 signify? Obviously a mission accomplished, but from where
and by what group? I notice on TV that one of the B-29s that wound up
in Russia also had these camels.

I believe it may refer to resupply missions flown "over the hump", when the
original B-29 force in theater (58th BW, IIRC) was trying to conduct
effective operations from bases in China. Due to shortages in transport
aircraft, B-29's were stripped of armament and pressed into temporary
service ferrying bombs and (IIRC again) fuel to the forward bases, to allow
the remainder of the force to execute offensive missions. The logistics
situation was pretty tough for those guys, and as soon as possible they were
relocated to the Mariannas (Tinian and/or Saipan).

Brooks